Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Whaur hae ye been sae braw, lad?"



I drink sour mash
and my
dead Scottish
forefathers
sleep in the rocks
and potato-peat
of Killiecrankie
and Culloden.

I taste the smoke
and my
ancestors do too,
and when the snow falls
and the clouds
steal the wind, I think
about the
hieland cots of stone and
grass
and how cold
we have always
been.

Fools
called heroes
with
hundreds
kneeling
at their
feet.
What makes a prince but
a crown?
What makes an eques
but the horse?

As I cough up tar
and sniffle snot
and sweat coffee
what makes health
but the illusion
of life?

What makes brave scions
but the hope
of an elder generation
and what is loyalty
other than gullibility?

I smell
biscuits
and manure
and my
immigrant
Appalachian
ghosts, slowly
dripping down
the mountain
chain, puddle
up in the
foothills
of the Land
of the Thicket-Clearers.

The coal smoke
billows
from
a handmade forge
and
a 12 gauge
blast
explodes
a cloud of crows
into flight.

And what is
a noise
but a break
in the silence?


No comments:

Post a Comment